Number of games in database: 287
Source: chessscotland.com|| |
Years covered: 1999 to 2022
Last FIDE rating: 2342
Highest rating achieved in database: 2406
Overall record: +34 -27 =41 (53.4%)*
* Overall winning percentage = (wins+draws/2) / total games in the database.
185 exhibition games, blitz/rapid, odds games, etc. are excluded from this statistic.
NOTABLE GAMES: [what is this?]
E Bamber vs I Gourlay, 2001 1/2-1/2
NOTABLE TOURNAMENTS: [what is this?]
Scottish Championship (2009)
Hereford International (2006)
Scottish Championship (2001)
4NCL Div 1a 2018/19 (2018)
London Chess Classic Open (2014)
Baku Olympiad (2016)
4NCL 2011/12 (2012)
FIDE Online Olympiad (2020)
🏆 Chennai Olympiad
S Masango vs I Gourlay (Aug-09-22) 1-0
I Gourlay vs J Subelj (Aug-08-22) 0-1
N Djukic vs I Gourlay (Aug-07-22) 1/2-1/2
I Gourlay vs Ibrahim Sultan (Aug-06-22) 1/2-1/2
I Gourlay vs R Panjwani (Aug-05-22) 0-1
Search Sacrifice Explorer for Iain Gourlay
Search Google for Iain Gourlay
FIDE player card for Iain Gourlay
Last updated: 2021-03-13 13:48:18
(born May-30-1974, 48 years old) United Kingdom
[what is this?]
FIDE Master. He was Scottish champion in 2009.
| page 1 of 12; games 1-25 of 292
| page 1 of 12; games 1-25 of 292
|Jun-14-17|| ||7he5haman: I had the pleasure of playing this gent in the London League last Thursday.|
He has an English Chess Federation (ECF) grade of 234, which is an Elo of 2455 (I see his actual Elo is a little low than that).
Whereas I've got an ECF grade of 186 (~Elo 2095). Nonetheless I nearly managed to beat him in our match!
|Jun-14-17|| ||7he5haman: Here's the game with some light notes, to view it you can paste the moves below as a PGN into this site https://www.chess.com/analysis-boar...|
1. c4 b6 2. Nc3 e6 3. e4 Bb7 4. Nge2 c5 5. g3 Nf6 6. Bg2 Be7 7. O-O Qc8 8. b3 d6 9. Bb2 O-O 10. Rc1 a6 11. d3 Nbd7 12. a3 Ra7 13. h3 Qa8 14. g4 Ne8 15. f4 Nc7 16. Ng3 h6 17. Kh2 b5 18. g5 hxg5 19. fxg5 Bxg5 20. Qg4 Qd8 21. Nh5 Ne5 22. Qg3 g6 23. Nf4 bxc4 24. dxc4 Bh4 25. Qe3 Qg5 26. Rg1 Qh6 27. Bh1 Nd3 28. Qxd3 Qxf4+ 29. Rg3 Bxg3+ 30. Qxg3 Qxg3+ 31. Kxg3 e5 32. b4 Bc6 33. Rd1 cxb4 34. axb4 Rb8 35. Ba3 Ne8 36. Bf3 f5 37. Nd5 a5 38. b5 Bxd5 39. Rxd5 fxe4 40. Bxe4 Nf6 41. Bg2 Nxd5 42. Bxd5+ Kh7 43. Bxd6 Rd8 44. b6 Rad7 45. Bxe5 a4 46. b7 a3 47. b8=Q Rxb8 48. Bxb8 Re7 49. c5 Rd7 50. Bd6 Ra7 51. Ba2 Ra6 52. Kf4 Kg7 53. Ke5 Ra5 54. Ke6 Rb5 55. c6 Rb2 56. c7 Rc2 57. Kd7 Rxa2 58. c8=Q
White: Iain Gourlay - 234 ECF, 2401 Elo
Black: Me! - 186ECF, no Elo
7...Qc8 - Black can't castle straight away because e5 is a threat
16.Ng3 - a nice move, means that I can't play ...d5 without allowing an eventual Nf5
18.g5 - Opponent was getting low on time so tries to force the issue
20...Qd8! - I think he missed this move
26...Qh6 - threatening Ng4+ hxg4 Bg5+
27.Bh1? - Kh1 was correct. Opponent had very little time left
27...Nd3! I'm clearly winning now
31...e5?! A very negative move and the beginning of my downfall - fixes the pawn structure in such a way that I am passive and gives White the d5-square. I should have started pressuring his b-pawn immediately with Bc6 and Rb8
37...a5?! A senseless move that does nothing but help White! The position has gone from clearly winning to unclear, although the comp says I'm still (near) winning with best play
39...fxe4 & 40...Nf6 I thought I was easily winning with these moves but White's ingenious 41st move makes things very difficult!
43...Rd8?? - 43...Rxb5 wins here!! Oh well :)
48...Re7 - 48...a2 is a clear draw; 49.Be5 Re7 50.Bd4 Re1 etc.
49...Rd7?? - I'm losing now :( 49...Re2 draws
Spot an error? Please
suggest your correction
and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: Create an account today
to post replies and access other powerful features which are available only to registered users.
Becoming a member is free, anonymous, and takes less than 1 minute! If you already have a username,
then simply login login under your username now to join the discussion.
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, or profane language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate, or gibberish posts.
- No vitriolic or systematic personal attacks against other members.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No cyberstalking or malicious posting of negative or private information (doxing/doxxing) of members.
- No trolling.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by moderators, create a false impression of consensus or support, or stage conversations, is prohibited.
- Do not degrade Chessgames or any of it's staff/volunteers.
Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Please keep all discussion on-topic.
This forum is for this specific player only. To discuss chess or this site in general,
visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members
do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors.
All moderator actions taken are ultimately at the sole discretion of the administration.
Copyright 2001-2021, Chessgames Services LLC